Listen to podcast audio:
Sadly, much of the teaching in Christian churches today is about coping mechanisms, sin management, and how to feel better about yourself with a little bit of Jesus sprinkled in. Sam Storms joins Gary Wilkerson to discuss the lasting transformative impact that studying and knowing God’s attributes and greatness will have on your life.
Key Points from the Podcast
• We must have a high view of God that esteem all of God’s attributes.
• God’s attributes, character and nature include, but are not limited to love, mercy, grace, kindness, all-powerful, all-knowing, omnipresent, authority, providence, just, majestic, beauty, holy, and wrath.
• God’s wrath is not like human anger which can be sinful, but his is always holy, pure and just.
• The violence of God’s wrath is a reaction against that which is contrary to truth, beauty, love and goodness.
• God is all of his attributes. We can’t dissect him and separate, highlight or diminish any of his attributes from one another.
• In our pride, we sometimes think we know a better way than what God has planned, but in his divine providence God knows and does what is best.
• Studying the attributes of God should always transform you. It has to change what we value, how we speak, what we do with our money, how we treat our bodies, how we interact with others.
• Sermons that teach coping mechanisms and sin management will not have lasting change in a life like knowing who God is, what he does, has done and will do.
Bible Verses Referenced in the Podcast
John 3:36, John 10:18, Romans 11:33–36, Romans 8:28, Ephesians 3:14–4:1, Acts 20:27
Resources Mentioned in the Podcast
• Desiring God [website]
• Divine Retribution: A Forgotten Doctrine? [article]
• Devoted to God: Blueprints for Sanctification by Alistair Begg [book]
• Sam Storms – Enjoying God [website]
Other episodes in this series:
About Sam Storms
Sam is Lead Pastor for Preaching and Vision at Bridgeway Church in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. He serves as a member of the Council of The Gospel Coalition. Sam is a past President of the Evangelical Theological Society, and currently serves on its Executive Committee.
About Gary Wilkerson
Gary Wilkerson is the President of World Challenge, an international mission organization that was founded by his father, David Wilkerson. He is also the Founding Pastor of The Springs Church, which he launched in 2009 with a handful of people. He has traveled nationally and internationally at conferences and conducted mission ventures such as church planting, starting orphanages, clinics, feeding programs among the poorest of the poor and the most unreached people of the earth. Gary and his wife Kelly have four children and live in Colorado Springs, CO.