Listen to podcast audio:
God created us for fellowship. He said that it is not good for man to be alone but finding authentic community can be challenging. We live in a social media culture where everyone puts their best on display, when what we really need is a place to safely share our hurts and struggles with others. Pastor Rusty George joins Gary Wilkerson to discuss ways to develop strong Christian community.
Key Points from the Podcast
- We can often take the ‘you’ scriptures and make them individualistic — about us alone — when the ‘you’ is often plural — meaning they are about the entire church together.
- We are all broken and need a safe place to vulnerably share our pains and struggles with empathetic listeners.
- God said that is not good for man to be alone. He has created us for community, yet for many of us fear keeps us from entering into deep relationships.
- Rather than being offended by someone’s selfishness, lean in and learn what fears or wounds might be driving their behavior.
- Let love drive you to be curious about and serve other people, rather than being so self-focused.
- There are some great ways to get started in community: small groups, mission trip, service project, nonprofit volunteering, etc.
Bible Verses Referenced in the Podcast
Matthew 5:13–14; Genesis 2:18
Resources Mentioned in the Podcast
- After Amen – What to Do When You’re Waiting on God by Pastor Rusty George [book]
- Justice. Mercy. Humility. – A Simple Path to Following Jesus by Pastor Rusty George [book]
- Better Together – Discover the Power of Community by Pastor Rusty George [book]
Other episodes about community:
About Rusty George
Rusty George is the Lead Pastor at Real Life Church in Southern California, a multi-site church with campuses in Canyon Country, Simi Valley, Valencia and a large online community.
Beyond leading his church of 6,000+ members every weekend, Rusty is a global speaker, leader and teacher focusing his message on helping people find and follow Jesus. Rusty has also written several books and writes regularly at pastorrustygeorge.com
Aside from being a loyal Chiefs, Royals and Lakers fan, Rusty is first and foremost committed to his family. Rusty has been married to his wife, Lorrie, for over twenty years and they have two daughters, Lindsey and Sidney. As a family they enjoy walking the dogs, watching the Food Network and playing board games together.
About Gary Wilkerson
Gary Wilkerson is the President of World Challenge, an international mission organization that was founded by his father, David Wilkerson. He is also the Founding Pastor of The Springs Church, which he launched in 2009 with a handful of people. He has traveled nationally and internationally at conferences and conducted mission ventures such as church planting, starting orphanages, clinics, feeding programs among the poorest of the poor and the most unreached people of the earth. Gary and his wife Kelly have four children and live in Colorado Springs, CO.